Turgesius Tower



The name Turgesius Tower was first used by the historian Charles Smith in 1746 and was probably located roughly where the AIB Bank stands at the intersection of Barronstrand Street and the Quay. In all probability this is the tower which is referred to in the minutes of Waterford Corporation in 1700 when Joseph Ivie was authorised ‘to pull downe the castle at the end of the Key levell with the towne wall’. In the Ryland map (1673) the tower on this site appears as a battlemented structure of three floors, while Philips (1685) represents it as a rectangular tower.

Location: AIB The Quay