Location: Barronstrand St
Thomas Hussey born at Ballybogan Co. Meath in 1746 and studied for the priesthood at the Irish College at Salamanca in Spain. In 1767 he was appointed as chaplain to the Spanish Embassy in London. Following his return to Ireland Hussey played a key role in the establishment of Maynooth College with government help and was appointed its first president in 1795.
In 1797 he was consecrated Bishop of Waterford and Lismore. He lived for a time in an imposing house on Gracedieu Road. During his time as bishop he encouraged the establishment of Catholic schools in the diocese by the Presentation Sisters and also encouraged Edmund Rice in educating poor boys. He died in 1803 and is buried within the grounds of the Catholic Cathedral.