Summary Location: Stoney Steps (back of Garda Station)
Also known as St. Patrick’s Fort it was situated by St. Patrick’s Gate on the site of the present Garda Station. The earliest reference to a fort on this site dates to 1590 when it was reported that the military engineer Edmund Yorke had started to build one. Yorke had been sent to Waterford to help strengthen the city’s defenses against a possible Spanish attack.
A map of the western walls of the city by Yorke is the earliest map of Waterford and is on display in Waterford Museum of Treasures. In 1615 it was reported that soldiers stationed in the fort had taken the timbers of the nearby St. Patrick’s Church for firewood. In 1625 Captain Nicholas Pynnar and Sir Thomas Botheram were appointed to build new citadels at Waterford, Cork and Galway and by 1626 Pynnar reported that the citadel at Waterford was almost complete. It had accommodation for 120 men and in the course of construction Captain Pynnar had incorporated three existing towers on the city walls into it. Sections of the citadel still survive, in particular the north bastion and the north-west corner fronting on King’s Terrace is 3 metres high.