Summary Location: Jenkins Lane
The Presentation sisters arrived in Waterford in 1798. Originally the order had been invited to open a school in the city for the education of poor Catholic girls in 1795 by the then bishop Dr. William Egan. However due to lack of numbers this was not possible and therefore two women from Waterford, a widow named Margaret Power and her sister Miss Fanning went to Cork to be received into the order with a view to returning to Waterford to establish a school. Their first school was established beside St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and in 1800 the sisters moved to their new convent on Hennessy’s Road.
They remained here until 1848 when they moved to their final destination in the city – the convent on Slievekeale Road which was designed by the famous architect Pugin.