Location: Glass House Lane
George and William Penrose
The doubling of duty on English-manufactured glass in 1777 as well as the Free Trade Act of 1780 removing the duty on Irish glass provided the impetus for the development of glass manufacturing in Ireland.
In 1783 the brothers George and William Penrose established their glass manufactory in Waterford. From a distinguished Quaker family, the Penrose brothers first began making glass near John’s Bridge. The finest and oldest piece of old Waterford glass in existence is a chandelier now hanging in the Council Chamber of City Hall. It was originally made for Dublin Castle in 1787 and was returned to Waterford in the 1830s.