Money Exchange

Summary                                                                              Location: Exchange Street

 

Waterford was transformed during the eighteenth century with the erection of many fine public buildings. The Exchange was built on the Quay between 1710 and 1714on the site of the old market. It was a magnificent building and in 1746 the historian Charles Smith described it as ‘a neat light building supported by pillars of hewn stone of the Tuscan order… the roof is an Italian hipped roof with a beautiful octagonal cupula and a dome on top.’ The site of the old Exchange is now occupied by the Ulster Bank.