Malcomson’s Shipping Office
Summary Location: Adelphi Square
David Malcolmson, who had established the cotton industry in Portlaw from 1826, was one of the founders of the River Suir Navigation Co. in 1835. As a result of the success of the Portlaw factory they also became involved in the cross-channel trade – importing cotton and coal for the Portlaw enterprise, thus laying the foundation of a world-wide shipping empire. From the mid 1850s to the mid 1860s the Malcolmsons owned the largest fleet of iron steamers in the world.