Summary Location: Waterford College of Further Education, Parnell St.
In 1906 the Central Technical Institute opened on the Mall in Waterford. It was established under the provisions of the Agricultural and Technical Education (Ireland) Act of 1899, perhaps one of the most significant pieces of legislation dealing with the provision of education in Ireland since the establishment of the National Schools in 1831.
The CTI was administered by a local Committee for Technical Instruction and its first chairman was the Catholic bishop of the diocese, Dr. Sheehan – who was also the founder of the Waterford and South East of Ireland Archaeological Society in 1894. It was mainly due to the vision and commitment of Bishop Sheehan that the early problems of finance especially were over come. For over a century the CTI has made a lasting contribution to the educational, social and cultural life of the city.