This is a temporary list of our blue plaques while the website is being redeveloped. See full list here. If you want to puruse this list, click on the images for more information.
Double click the image across for more detail
Waterford Steamship Company
Location: Tower Hotel, The Mall Waterford
In 1817 gas lights were introduced along the Quay and Waterford citizens saw their first steamship, Princess Charlotte, paddling up the Suir. Nine years later (1826) a local group of businessmen, with their Bristol counterparts, set up the Waterford and Bristol Steam Navigation Company. The company was a huge success carrying passengers, goods and cattle between Waterford and Bristol. John Malcomson’s signature appears on the deed of settlement for a wooden paddle steamer Water Witch built in 1883 at Birkenhead for the company. It was claimed at the time she was ‘perhaps the fastest vessel that ever floated’. His tenure as trustee of the Waterford and Bristol Steam Navigation Company was the nursery and breeding ground that spawned the era of Malcomsons as ship-owners.
Wolfe Tone Club
Double click the image across for more informationone Club, 33
Double click image across for information
Malcomson’s Shipping Office
Double click the image across for more information
Click for more
John J. Hearne
First Garage in Ireland
Boy Soldier - John Condon
George and William Penrose
St. Patrick’s Gate
Stephen de Fulburn
Dean John Collyn
Location: Manor Street
Richard Mulcahy was born in Manor Street, Waterford in 1886. He was educated at Mount Sion Christian Brothers School and later in Thurles, County Tipperary, where his father was the postmaster. Mulcahy joined the Irish Volunteers in 1913 and was also a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood and the Gaelic League. During the 1916 Rising he took part in the attack on Ashbourne Royal Irish Constabulary barracks – the only successful engagement of the rebellion. Arrested after the rising he was interned. Upon his release he became Commandant of the Dublin Brigade of the IRA. In March 1918 he was appointed Chief of Staff, a position he held until January 1922. Mulcahy supported the Anglo-Irish Treaty of 1921, and became Minister for Defence in the Provisional Government. Following the death of Michael Collins during the Civil War, in August 1922, Mulcahy took over as Chief of Staff of the National Army. In March 1924 he was forced to resign from cabinet during the ‘Army Mutiny’, although he returned to government the following year as Minister for the Gaeltacht. After the resignation of William T. Cosgrave in 1944, Richard Mulcahy became leader of Fine Gael. Following the 1948 general election, the first inter-party government in the history of the Irish state came to power. Because of lingering bitterness over the Civil War, Mulcahy was not acceptable to his coalition partners as Taoiseach, and therefore he stepped aside in favour of John A. Costello. Mulcahy went on to serve as Minister for Education in the new government. He retired from active politics in 1965 and died in 1971.
Clyde Shipping Company
William Vincent Wallace
Location: Jenkins Lane
The Presentation sisters arrived in Waterford in 1798. Originally the order had been invited to open a school in the city for the education of poor Catholic girls in 1795 by the then bishop Dr. William Egan. However due to lack of numbers this was not possible and therefore two women from Waterford, a widow named Margaret Power and her sister Miss Fanning went to Cork to be received into the order with a view to returning to Waterford to establish a school. Their first school was established beside St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and in 1800 the sisters moved to their new convent on Hennessy’s Road. They remained here until 1848 when they moved to their final destination in the city – the convent on Slievekeale Road which was designed by the famous architect Pugin.